eat food

Pizza Balls – Recipe

Pizza Balls Recipe ||

This recipe turned out to be a big hit last night!  My husband said he thought they were really good and he’d eat them again.  This was a good sign…normally I can tell he doesn’t like something if he avoids saying I should make them again, lol!

Pizza Balls!

Adapted from The Gunny Sack

Ingredients: (for some of the items I don’t give exact amounts since it will be up to you how much you’ll use)
3 cans Pillsbury Homestyle Biscuits (8 to a can)
16 oz block of cheese (I made the first batch with Monterey Jack but next time I will try Mozzarella)
50 slices of pepperoni
1 beaten egg
Kraft grated Parmesan cheese (you know, the kind in the green shaker bottle)
Shredded Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
1 jar pizza sauce

*Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish/pan…put it to the side.

*Preheat your oven to 425.

Get your ingredients out!

*Cut the block of cheese into small squares (pictured above).

Pepperoni Pizza Balls ||

*Flatten out a biscuit and make a ‘sandwich’ with the two slices of pepperoni and a square of cheese.

*Then, you’ll take the sides of the biscuit and close it around the pepperoni and cheese…it should look like a ball after your finished smoothing out the seam.

*Put them into your greased backing dish with the seam facing the bottom of the dish.

*After all of the pizza balls are placed into you baking dish, beat an egg in a small bowl and use a brush to coat the top of the pizza balls.

*Now take your Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and shredded Parmesan cheese and scatter them on the tops of the pizza balls to your liking.

Pepperoni Pizza Balls ||

All ready to go into the oven!

*Now the original recipe said to bake for 18-20 minutes but I found that this wasn’t enough time.  My pizza balls were still very doughy!  I put my pizza rolls back into the oven (on a lower rack so that the tops wouldn’t get too browned) for around another 10 minutes, about 30 minutes altogether.  I would check yours after 18-20 minutes since I think baking time can vary depending on how thick or thin you made your rolls.

Pepperoni Pizza Balls Recipe ||

Before the over and after the oven. Yum!

*After you let them cool a little bit, serve them with a side of pizza sauce for dipping and enjoy!  My husband loved them.

Let me know if you make these and what you thought of them!  One idea I had been toying with was actually making them with a little dab of pizza sauce on the inside…maybe next time?

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

You Might Also Like

June 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

January 27, 2013 at 12:34 am

I made these today for the first time. However, I used mozzarella cheese. I also put mushrooms in some of them and omitted the pepperoni. I did not place mine so close together. They were apx 2 inches apart. I baked at 400 Degrees for 13 minutes, and they turned out PERFECT. My kids and husband LOVED them!!!

March 8, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Ah, great suggestion! I love hearing how people modify the recipe! Gives me ideas of what to try next time. Thanks for the feedback and new ideas. :)

August 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

My husband asked me to put more cheese in next time, so i mixed colby and mozzarella together. He’s been begging me to make more!

February 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I made a variation on these today and they were great, I used a frozen pizza crust and cut out “circles” stuffed it with pepperoni and finely shredded mozzarella cheese and topped it with garlic butter ( melted butter, garlic, and oregano) and a thin coating of the mozzarella cheese and served it with a side of Ragu home-style pizza sauce

March 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

What a great idea! And they sound so yummy! Thanks for sharing with me! 😉

February 19, 2013 at 7:41 am

I made these last night! They were soooo good!

March 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

February 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I can’t wait to make these!

Teron Hess
    February 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm

As a single mom it’s so hard to find inventive meal ideas. This one is perfect with a salad and fruit cups. My kids and I get to spend time in the kitchen making dinner together. Talk about our day and really connect.
    THANK YOU!! :)
    I made mine last night and took your idea of putting just a dab of pizza sauce in with the pepperoni and cheese. I used Contadina Pizza Sauce in the squeeze bottle which worked perfectly to get the right amount of sauce on the inside. In addition, instead of egg I used Italian flavored olive oil and garlic powder. When they started to get brown I topped with grated Parmesan.
    They turned out wonderful!!!

March 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

No problem. 😉 I think it’s awesome that you made it a whole family meal night and your kiddos got to help out! I’m going to have to try our some of your suggestions! :)

March 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I did theSe today and the dough was still raw

March 8, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Yep…that’s why I had to cook mine for 30 mins and suggest that the baking time can vary according to how thick or thin you make your biscuits.

March 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I want to try next time doing ham and cheese or bacon and cheese egg for a breakfast version.

March 25, 2013 at 8:40 am

Yum! That sounds like a great idea!

March 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I am making that tonight for dinner!!!

March 25, 2013 at 8:40 am

How did they turn out Tiffany?? :)

March 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm

These were great! My daughter and I made these today for lunch and used some jar spaghetti sauce, pepperoni and 1/3 string cheese. The kids loved them! Now my husband wants to try different fun ingredients. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

March 28, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I just made these for my daycare kids. I used the smaller biscuits (ten in a can). So I cut the pepperoni into quarters and put two pieces on either side of the mozzarella cheese. I also put a dab of pizza sauce between the pepperoni and the biscuit. I did everything else the same but baked them at 400 for 13 minutes like someone suggested. I wasn’t sure how they would turn out so I only made ten but they are a big hit!

March 29, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I just made these for my family and they were a huge hit. Going to try to make a breakfast one with eggs, sausage, and cheese next time! Thanks for the recipe!

Adrianne Compton
    April 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I finally got time to make these :) it was so fun :)

Jennifer McElveen
    April 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I’m trying these tomorrow! I will be bringing them to my sons Boy Scout Court Of Honor! They look great, and the theme is finger foods, perfect!! :)

A Tayor
    April 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm

made these tonight but i made them a piece of ham some shredded chicken (pre cooked) and piece of chz with a little ranch dressing inside !! omg amazing !! :)

June 29, 2013 at 4:52 am

I made these today and they were to die for!!! Will definitely be on my ‘make all the time’ list! Im not sure what the buttermilk biscuits are? I live in New Zealand and we dont have anything like that here (that i have seen) so i just made a pizza dough recipe and rolled out balls and use those!

July 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Hello Morgan….I want to make these but I was wondering if they can be frozen. I would like to make them up and take them camping with us.

15 Football Party Recipes | Coupons
    September 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

[…] Pizza Balls […]

November 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Okay, have made them twice now–very good. To make them healthier easier we used Yves Meatless Pepperoni (‘Perfect for meatless pizzas, our Meatless Pepperoni Slices have the great taste of regular pepperoni but without any of the fat, cholesterol or preservatives. A truly innovative product!’)

This took away some of the guilt (fat and nitrates). My feeling on sauce inside is of course! they’re a bit dry without it; and you still want to dip in it as well. I used colby jack but next time would also use Mozzarella…. Would it be too crazy to think about using whole wheat biscuits too? Thanks! :)

January 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm

These were a huge hit! I did follow the recommendation to bake for 30 minutes instead of 20, but they were still raw when spaced closely together as shown in the photo. However, I pulled them apart and spaced them on 2 pans for about another 5 minutes and they were PERFECT! I’m actually going to make again now, but space out beforehand which should shorten the cooking time. Thanks for sharing!!

Barry B
    January 26, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Great recipe idea! I have a question for you. If you don’t eat them all. What would you suggest for reheating instructions after refrigeration overnight?

February 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm

These are my Super Bowl Party go-to recipe! Always a hit and crazy delicious!!

Sarah Greer
    August 11, 2014 at 11:34 am

I usually put bell pepper, onion, and olives in mine as well pepperoni and cheese. Kind of a supreme pizza ball! My family loves them

March 13, 2015 at 10:32 am

Im considering these for wedding but need to make in advance. Has anyone frozen these after baking, cooling, etc>
    They would be a good wedding appetizer! PLEASE RESPOND ASAP — wedding plans full speed ahead!

17 Game Day Recipes
    March 14, 2015 at 10:12 am

[…] Pizza Balls by Modern Mommyhood […]

These are 21 of the Best and Most Delicious Things That Ever Happened to Pizza - Wow Amazing
    August 18, 2015 at 12:28 am

[…] You can eat them with your hands or use utensils. It doesn’t really matter because there’s no wrong or right way to eat these doughy balls of pizza sauce and cheese. Recipe here. […]