Motivation can be hard to come by when you’re exhausted.
Lately I’ve been unhappy with the state of my body. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fully aware that my body just completed the nine month process of creating another tiny human being but I’m ready to be healthy again. I want to lose the remaining pounds, eat better, and just overall feel confident with where I’m at when it comes to my fitness level. I’m ready for positive changes.
I wrote yesterday about purging excess from my home and I think that ultimately has pushed me to seek the best me that I can be. That totally sounds like some kitschy motivational slogan, lol. But in all honesty, I’ve been taking care of two little kids…it’s time to do something for myself.
I randomly saw the other day that the registration for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend had opened and what did I do? My crazy self decided to sign myself up for the half marathon on a whim.
I HATE running and always have. I am the girl that can’t even run a full mile. So I’m not sure what I was thinking? Probably that the darn thing cost so much money that I won’t let myself back out of it because of the price. Also, it’s going to force me to get on track with working out. My husband on the other hand has run a bunch of marathons and half marathons so at least I’ll have him to help get me through this and help me with sticking to a training schedule.
I’ll admit that in between the moments of freaking out about how my pigeon toed self is going to run 13.1 miles without falling over, I’m pretty excited too. I’ve always been super headstrong and am looking forward to a challenge. It’s not a race against anyone else…it’s just a race to prove to myself that I can do it.
Heck, if I can push a baby out…what’s 13.1 miles?!
So now the prepping begins:
- I need running shoes (Hubs told me I should go get a fitting at a running store).
- I need workout clothes since I haven’t bought any in FOREVER (I actually just signed up and have my first order from Fabletics coming…I have high hopes since their clothes look cute but practical).
- I need to find some headphones for my iphone that won’t fall out of my ears (I must have oddly shaped ears because I can’t find any that will stay in and not fall out) since I cannot run without music.
- I need to make a training plan and stick to it.
- I need to get back to my old hydration water schedule.
- And I’m sure there’s a lot more that I haven’t figured out yet.
The half marathon isn’t until next January so I have plenty of prep time and I’m also planning on finding a 10k to run in the next few months to keep me on track and focused. And don’t you all worry, I’ll be posting update posts to follow along with my progress.
Are you a runner? Do you have any tips for me to help me enjoy it? Or any advice for running a half marathon?