desserts eat

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies - close copycat to store bought sugar cookies!

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies - close copycat to store bought sugar cookies!

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies - close copycat to store bought sugar cookies!

The husband loved them…

I made these sugar cookies last night for the first time and am IN LOVE with this recipe!Β  This is by far the closest a recipe has come to those store bought soft and fluffy sugar cookies that I was addicted to back in college.Β  πŸ˜‰Β  They were also very, very, very easy to make!

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies

Adapted from Peppermint Plum

Cookie Ingredients
(for cookie batter)
1 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking soda
5 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

Directions
*Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
*In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter and sugar.
*Then add eggs, sour cream, vanilla, salt, and baking soda until smoothly mixed together.
*Slowly mix in flour, one cup at a time (trust me, I added it all at once and it went everywhere).
*Now roll out dough on a floured surface to be about 1/3 of an inch thick…don’t skimp on the flour since I found the dough to be really sticky!Β  And use any cookie cutter shape you’d like.
*Lay cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.Β  I also sprayed the parchment paper with cooking spray (not sure if this really did anything).
*Bake for 7 minutes!!!!Β  No longer than 7 minutes or they will be crunchy!Β  They might not look fully baked, but trust me, they are!Β  And this is how you’re cookies will turn out to be soft.Β  πŸ˜‰
*As soon as they come out of the oven, use a spatula and move them too a cooling rack.Β  I found that if I left them on the cookie sheet instead of moving them right away to the cooling rack, the bottoms got hard.

Once cooled…it’s time to ice them!

Frosting Ingredients
1/2 cup softened butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Optional* – food coloring

Directions
*In a large bowl, mix with hand mixer butter with sugar.Β  Add sugar gradually, or once again, it will end up all over the place!
*Then add vanilla and milk.
*This is the time to mix in any food coloring that you’d like.
*Continue to mix until thick.

So there ya go!Β  Frost, decorate, and enjoy!

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies - close copycat to storebought sugar cookies!

Click To Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs. A Ranked & Rated Directory Of The Most Poular Mom Blogs

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

Lorraine
    April 3, 2013 at 6:34 am

Mmmm…..they look so yummy! And the photos are awesome πŸ™‚ Maybe you could get into food photography.

Rachel
    October 10, 2013 at 1:13 am

These look so good!!! This sunday im going to make tons of these for my cheer team and my dance group! Im sure they will love them !!!

Chrissy
    December 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I made these tonight and they were delicious. I used my standing mixer and thought they were easy to assemble! Thank you for sharing!! I would like to know if you think you could make this dough ahead and freeze or refrigerate.

Amanda
    January 6, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I tried this recipe tonight and the icing was way too bitter! It tasted like straight vanilla extract. πŸ™ do you think it’s a typo and the icing should just have 2 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract? The cookie part was really good though!

Morgan
      January 6, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Amanda I am so very sorry! It was supposed to be 2 teaspoons and you’re the first one to point it out. I feel horrible. πŸ™ But I’m glad you’re cookies turned out okay.

Amanda
        January 29, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Oh good! I am so glad it wasn’t supposed to be 2 TBSP! haha. I wonder if others used 2 TBSP or if they figured it was supposed to be tsp? Thank you for clearing it up! I will try them again with 2 tsp. πŸ™‚

Asia
    February 13, 2014 at 12:54 am

i am going to make these tomorrow i hope it turns out good:)

Andrea
    July 2, 2014 at 2:26 pm

How many cookies does this make?

Rachel
    September 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Would these be ok if I didn’t use the sour cream? My son is allergic to dairy…I use vegan butter but not sure what to use instead of sour cream…

Charlotte
      November 6, 2014 at 5:06 am

Instead of a one cup of sour cream you may want to try 2/3 cup of Almond or Soya milk (because milk is more fluid than sour cream you would need less liquid.)
      Add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice, Then check your dough to see if it is the texture you want. You may need to add a little more milk. The texture would probably be a bit different. But it would taste good.

Or you could substitute with applesauce. The texture would be different,
      The first time I made Gramma’s applesauce cake I thought I had written the recipe down wrong when I realized it didn’t call for butter or shortening. Because of the applesauce it didn’t need the butter. So it had less fat than my other recipes.

Either way the cookie should turn out good tasting–but different than the original recipe. I use the Almond milk and lemon juice to substitute for sour cream. I like it very much. But I haven’t yet tried this recipe.

15 Delicious Cookie Recipes
    October 10, 2014 at 7:34 am

[…] 7. Soft And Fluffy Sugar Cookies {Modern Mommyhood} […]

Trish
    December 14, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I just made this. The cookies came out like cake and the icing was really thin. Other than that they could have been worse!

Morgan
      December 14, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Ah sorry Trish…the cookies are supposed to be like the very fluffy/cake-like cookies in the store. And sounds like something might have been off with the icing since it’s never come out too runny for me. πŸ˜‰ Possibly try 1/4 cup milk if you ever decide to try them again.

Dee Dee
    December 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I have to make sugar cookie for my daughters school. All the other recipes say to chill the dough. I will be making this today. Thanks

Quincy
    December 18, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I’m using cookie cutters, for Christmas cookies of course. How thick should I roll the dough?

Morgan
      December 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm

1/3 of an inch thick. πŸ˜‰

Selena
    December 19, 2015 at 4:21 pm

In stead of that recipe, I would do: two sticks of butter, 1 cup of sugar, one egg yolk and one egg white beaten and until stiff, 3 teaspoons of Vanilla, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar or one cup of sour cream, And 5 1/2 cups of flour. Yes, cook them for seven minutes on 375Β° and place them on a cooling rack!???????????? Enjoy!

Nicole