This past weekend we were super busy making food around the house! My husband got a four day weekend due to the Labor Day holiday so that meant lots of grilling since he recently got a new grill (I don’t think I’ve seen him that excited in a while…it’s like a grown man’s toy, lol!). Who is going to argue BBQ? Not me!
BUT you can’t grill every meal…I mean I guess you could, but it’s not happening in my house.
Anyway, Saturday night I figured we’d try something new. I wanted something easy and nothing is better than a one pot meal! That means less cleanup in the kitchen = score! Another one of my goals lately has been finding meals that everyone can enjoy…and I mean everyone including Mabel. She’s a picky eater so finding things that she’ll eat right along with us has been a challenge. So when she devoured this Southwestern Skillet Mac, I knew it was a winner!
Southwestern Skillet Mac
Adapted from Julie’s Eats & Treats
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16 ounces of salsa (basically 2 cups of whatever salsa you like, I went with mild so that my child would eat it but you could step it up and make it spicy if you like!)
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 15.5 ounce can of whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
- 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sharp cheddar or Mexican shredded cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef on medium high heat. Once cooked, drain grease.
- Add water, tomato sauce and salsa to ground beef in skillet. Heat until boiling.
- Then add corn and elbow macaroni. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until pasta is tender all while stirring occasionally so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the skillet (this took me about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in half a cup of cheese and then top with the remaining 1/2 cup. Cover with lid until cheese topping is melted. YUM!
- Serve and top with a dollop of sour cream.
6 thoughts on “Southwestern Skillet Mac”
This looks so good. I think we will have to try it very soon!
Yum! It’s now been copied and pasted my “Recipes” file. Thanks!
Just made this for dinner tonight! Thanks for the recipe 😀 Everyone loved it!
This looks so yummy, I’ll have to try it!
Looks great! I am actually in the processing of making it now. I’m waiting for the pasta to cook. It’s taking longer than I thought and I’m loosing liquid, which worries me bc im afraid the pasta won’t cook all the way through. Sure hope this turns out bc there is a lot of it and it smells great!
Made this last night. Delicious!!!! Yields about 10 servings by the way. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of water but the directions never said when that was needed, so I didn’t even use the water.