A Reason For Everything

Around 4am this morning Mabel decided to wake up early for a bottle.  After some poking and begging, I convinced my husband to make the journey downstairs to get a bottle for her and upon getting back into bed after feeding her he said, “The furnace is out.  It’s freezing downstairs”.


Well, at least the heat was still working upstairs and I didn’t have to worry about Mabel being cold while sleeping.

7am rolled around before I knew it, I could hear Mabel babbling on the monitor wanting someone to get her, and I made my husband call the heating guys to come fix our furnace.

Someone would be out around 2.

Hubby went to work.


Okay, right off the bat I’m going to ask you not to judge.  Yeah, we’ve been meaning to get the wall painted since we replaced the older round thermostat with the new digital one (hence the round spot of missing paint).  The time is wrong too…I have no idea how to program the darn thing.  Now, onto the temp.  It was around 35 degrees outside this morning and 60 inside.  60 might sound warm but it’s not!  So Miss Mabel and I spent the morning upstairs where it was warm.

Finally after the heating guy got here…I was expecting the worst but guess what the problem was:

gas switch

This switch is supposed to always be ‘ON’.

Someone had turned the gas switch off.  And by someone I’m not implying myself…and obviously Mabel can’t reach the switch on her own…and pugs don’t mess with switches.  That leaves Hubby.  Guilty as charged.

Apparently when he was messing with the house alarm last night which is below that switch, he somehow hit it.

For real?!?  I just paid some guy to come out and tell me it was the switch?  I was a tad upset.

But that was about to change…

The heating guy decided to make a check below the house in our crawlspace for the furnace since he was out here…you know, see if the filter was okay and if everything looked fine.

After coming out of the crawlspace, he came out…looked at us and said, “You’re lucky to still be here”.

Okay, what was this dude talking about??

“Your exhaust pipe was completely disconnected and all of the carbon monoxide from your furnace was being pumped back into your crawlspace.  Basically it’s like hooking your car’s tailpipe into your vent system”.

WHAT?!  We have carbon monoxide detectors in the house but they had never gone off…but over the past few months I’ve been dealing with some pretty bad headaches.  No one has messed with the pipe since we’ve lived here so it has probably been off the entire time.  I’ve honestly never been more freaked out before in my life.

I can’t tell you how thankful I am that apparently the ventilation in our crawlspace is enough that most of the carbon monoxide hadn’t been going back through our house.  I’m thankful that Mabel is okay, that Hubby and I are okay and (yes, I’m really going to say this) I’m thankful that my husband made a mistake.

I’m a true believer that there is a reason for everything and this was meant to happen so that the gas problem could be corrected.

But wow…I’m still in shock.

And as a public service announcement, check your fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis since you never know what can happen.


Click To Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs. A Ranked & Rated Directory Of The Most Poular Mom Blogs

You Might Also Like


  • Reply
    Anna K.
    February 26, 2013 at 8:13 pm

    Eek! Thank goodness everything and everyone was okay!

  • Reply
    Big D
    February 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

    Yes. There is a reason for everything! So glad that an inconvenience turned out to be a possible lifesaver X’s 3. Thank you to him for accidentally turning the switch off.

  • Reply
    Jessica K
    February 26, 2013 at 10:03 pm

    I’m glad to hear everything and everyONE is okay. I am a total believer in things happening for a reason.

  • Reply
    February 28, 2013 at 3:30 am

    So sorry to hear that!
    Had also a wake up call yesterday. Got locked out, while my baby was still inside, in his bed thankfully. We were getting ready to go out and a door just closed. Real agony, he was screaming and me, at the other side, shouting, singing, crying…Neighbour called the fire-fighters, who came in 15min, longest 15 in my life, broke in and I could hold my baby again. He gave me a good scare, was totally quiet and stared in the air, then a smile came!!

  • Reply
    February 28, 2013 at 12:56 pm

    That’s why I’m glad we have all electric – never have to think about that.

  • Reply
    luton locked out of home
    July 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

    I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this website.
    I really hope to see the same high-grade content from you later
    on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own blog now 😉

  • Leave a Reply