I’m always looking for healthier snacking alternatives, especially ones that Mabel will eat too.
Sweet potatoes have been a favorite of hers from the beginning (they were the first puree that she ever tasted!) so when I was asked to try a recipe from Honey Bunches of Oats, I figured why not? Their original crunchy sweet potato fries recipe is a spicier one, so I decided to change a few things around to make it more of a toddler/kid friendly snack!
The fries themselves are thicker wedge cuts of large sweet potatoes. I prefer larger cuts of fries since they are easier for little fingers to hold. The crunchy coating is crushed Honey Bunches of Oats and adds the perfect amount of sweetness!
Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 cup crushed Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted cereal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into large but even wedges
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a food processor, crush cereal until it measures 1 cup. *It takes a little over 2 cups of uncrushed cereal to make 1 crushed cup.*
- Place crushed cereal in a shallow bowl or plate.
- In a second shallow bowl or plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Mix evenly.
- In a third shallow bowl, gently beat egg whites and water.
- Take sweet potato wedges (one at a time), dip into flour (shake off excess), then dip into egg mixture, then dip into crushed cereal making sure it's evenly coated. Then place onto baking sheet. Repeat until all wedges are coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes until tender and crisp, turning fries over halfway through.
- Let slightly cool, and enjoy!
I want to thank Honey Bunches of Oats for providing me with materials to make this delicious recipe!